Franciscan Missionaries of Mary . Nativity convent ,Shirva – A Glimpse
Franciscan Miissionaries of Mary Congregation was founded on January 6th 1877 at Ootacamund in Tamil Nadu one of the Southern States of India by Helen de Chappotin (Mary of the Passion) a French Missionary. This was the first missionary religious Congregation for women in the history of the Church and the world. At present we are 6,698 Sisters of 78 Nationalities, working in 77 Countries, of the five Continents. In India we have 5 provinces and 1,225 sisters are working here.
Franciscan Missionaries of Mary Sisters were invited by Late Rev. Dr. Basil D’Souza, Bishop of Mangalore to do Pastoral Work and to start an English Medium School in the parish, Our Lady of Health, Shirva in the year 1962. Four sisters from different parts of the world arrived in Shirva. A small house was built in order to accommodate the sisters. As the years passed by, young women who came as vocations are also accommodated in the same building.
Over the years, Nativity Girls English Medium School has been handed over to the Parish and sisters were rendering their service in Don Bosco Higher Primary School. At present two sisters render their service in the school. As part of the pastoral work, Sisters teach catechism in the parish, prepare the children for Sacraments, help out in the Liturgy, visit the houses, take part in the Basic Christian Community prayer meetings, collaborate with the Secular Franciscan Order,and Marian Sodality .
We started Don Bosco Play School in the year 2009 to cater the needs of the children of three years and below. Sr. Ida D’Almeida is the incharge of the school. At present Franciscan family consists of 5 sisters. We try to witness Christ through our simple life style and commit ourselves to the mission entrusted to us.